The Redwood Coast Energy Authority is a local government Joint Powers Agency whose members include the County of Humboldt; the Cities of Arcata, Blue Lake, Eureka, Ferndale, Fortuna, Rio Dell, and Trinidad; and the Humboldt Bay Municipal Water District.
The purpose of the Energy Authority is to develop and implement sustainable energy initiatives that reduce energy demand, increase energy efficiency, and advance the use of clean, efficient and renewable resources available in the region for the benefit of the Member agencies and their constituents. To further that purpose, the Redwood Coast Energy Authority works toward the following goals:
- To lead, coordinate and integrate regional efforts that advance secure, sustainable, clean and affordable energy resources.
- To develop a long-term sustainable energy strategy and implementation plan.
- To increase awareness of, and enhance access to, energy conservation, energy efficiency, and renewable energy opportunities available to the region.
- To add value to, but not duplicate, energy services offered by utilities and others serving the region.
- To keep key decision makers and stakeholders informed of policy, regulatory, and market changes that are likely to impact the region.
- To support research, development, demonstration, innovation, and commercialization of sustainable energy technologies by public and private entities operating in Humboldt County.
- To develop regional capabilities to respond to energy emergencies and short-term disruptions in energy supply, infrastructure, or markets that could adversely affect Humboldt residents and businesses.
In 2012 the Energy Authority Board of Directors adopted a Comprehensive Action Plan for Energy (CAPE), which is intended to support achieving these goals through strategies that specifically address: Regional Energy Planning & Coordination, Energy Reliability & Security, Economic Development, Built Environment Efficiency, Education, Water & Waste, Transportation, and Energy Generation & Utility Services.
The full CAPE document is available here.